BREAKING NEWS: POLICE HALT NIGHT WORSHIP IN ONDO AFTER ABDUCTION OF SIX CHURCH MEMBERS
POLICE HALT NIGHT WORSHIP IN ONDO AFTER ABDUCTION OF SIX CHURCH MEMBERS
The Ondo State Police Command has directed religious leaders across Ondo State to temporarily suspend night worship services following rising security concerns and the recent abduction of six worshippers in Owo Local Government Area.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adebowale Lawal, announced the directive on Friday in Akure while briefing journalists on the February 25 kidnapping incident at a Celestial Church in Uso, along the Uso/Owo Expressway.
According to the police, the worshippers were abducted during a midnight church service. One victim has since been rescued, while an informant allegedly linked to the crime has been arrested. Investigations are ongoing to secure the release of the remaining victims.
Security sources indicated that the kidnappers reportedly demanded a ransom of ₦100 million. However, the police commissioner clarified that the command had not received any official communication regarding ransom negotiations.
Lawal disclosed that among the abducted individuals were pregnant women and a physically challenged person, expressing concern over the vulnerability of such worshippers attending late-night services amid prevailing security challenges.
He emphasized that security agencies are better positioned to monitor religious activities conducted during daytime hours. The commissioner also noted that the organizers of the midnight service did not notify the police prior to the event, a step he said could have enabled authorities to provide security guidance.
“In the recent case, nobody informed us about any activity taking place there,” Lawal said. “We have consistently advised religious leaders that if they plan major gatherings, they should liaise with security agencies for proper assessment and advice.”
The police command confirmed that formal communications had been sent to area commanders across the state, instructing them to engage leaders of Christian, Muslim, and traditional religious groups on the temporary suspension of night services as a precautionary measure.
Authorities reaffirmed their commitment to rescuing the remaining victims and strengthening surveillance operations in identified vulnerable locations across the state.
Residents have been urged to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities to security agencies as efforts continue to address the security situation.

Comments
Post a Comment