MINISTER OF WORKS THREATENS SHUTDOWN OF SECTION ONE OF LAGOS–CALABAR COASTAL HIGHWAY OVER TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS
MINISTER OF WORKS THREATENS SHUTDOWN OF SECTION ONE OF LAGOS–CALABAR COASTAL HIGHWAY OVER TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS
The Federal Government has threatened to shut down Section One of the Lagos–Calabar Coastal Highway following persistent traffic violations and safety concerns along the corridor.
The Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, issued the warning on Thursday, stressing that reckless driving and disregard for traffic regulations by motorists could force the government to close the road until construction is completed.
According to the minister, the Lagos section of the highway was temporarily opened to traffic during the Christmas and New Year festivities to ease congestion within the city. However, the temporary opening has reportedly been marred by traffic indiscipline, including excessive speeding, driving against traffic flow and obstruction of ongoing construction work.
Umahi disclosed that the unsafe conduct of road users has already resulted in serious accidents, including the death of a contractor’s worker, who was reportedly hit by a speeding vehicle that veered off the carriageway. He added that at least one fatality involving a road user was also recorded during the festive period.
“The situation has become dangerous for both motorists and construction workers. If traffic indiscipline continues, we will have no option but to close Section One of the highway entirely,” the minister said.
He noted that the Federal Government had earlier considered shutting down the road but kept it open following the intervention of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who directed that measures be taken to manage traffic while construction progresses.
The Minister of Works explained that the government is currently working with the Lagos State Government, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) and security agencies to restore order and improve safety along the route. He warned that these efforts would be abandoned if motorists fail to comply with traffic rules.
Umahi also addressed public concerns over reported demolition markings along the highway corridor, clarifying that no demolition has been approved by the Ministry of Works. He said the markings seen on some buildings were made in error and have since been corrected.
Section One of the Lagos–Calabar Coastal Highway spans approximately 47.5 kilometres, stretching from Ahmadu Bello Way to Eleko Junction in Lagos. The coastal highway project is designed to link several southern states and enhance trade, tourism and regional connectivity across Nigeria.
The minister urged motorists to exercise patience and obey traffic regulations, warning that public safety would remain the government’s priority as construction continues.
.jpeg)
Comments
Post a Comment