NAFDAC BEGINS NATIONWIDE CLAMPDOWN ON SACHET ALCOHOL
NAFDAC BEGINS NATIONWIDE CLAMPDOWN ON SACHET ALCOHOL
Cites Risks to Children and Youth
Lagos, Nigeria — January 22, 2026 — The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has commenced nationwide enforcement of the ban on alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and small plastic bottles below 200 millilitres, citing growing concerns over public health risks, particularly among children and young people.
The enforcement follows a directive from the Nigerian Senate mandating the agency to fully implement the prohibition after the expiration of the December 31, 2025 deadline granted to manufacturers to phase out the products.
Speaking at a media briefing in Lagos, NAFDAC Director-General, Professor Mojisola Adeyeye, said the clampdown was necessary to curb the widespread abuse of alcohol made cheap, portable and easily accessible through sachet packaging.
According to her, many of the affected products previously contained very high alcohol concentrations, making them especially dangerous for minors and inexperienced consumers.
“NAFDAC is not against alcohol consumption,” Adeyeye said. “Our concern is the proliferation of high-alcohol-content drinks in sachets and small bottles that are easily concealed and sold at very low prices, thereby encouraging misuse among children and youths.”
Senate Backing
The renewed enforcement stems from a Senate resolution passed in November 2025, which expressed alarm over rising cases of alcohol abuse among school-age children and young adults. Lawmakers described sachet alcohol as a major public health threat and urged NAFDAC to act decisively without further extensions.
The Senate also warned that continued delay in enforcement could worsen social problems linked to alcohol abuse, including road accidents, violence and declining public health outcomes.
Public Health Concerns
NAFDAC has maintained that the ban is aimed at protecting vulnerable groups from early exposure to alcohol, which experts say increases the risk of addiction, long-term health complications and social instability.
Health advocates have long argued that the widespread availability of cheap, high-strength alcohol near schools, motor parks and residential areas has contributed to rising substance abuse among youths across the country.
Industry Reactions
The clampdown has, however, drawn opposition from some industry stakeholders. The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) has warned that the ban could negatively affect investments in the beverage sector and lead to job losses if not managed carefully.
Despite these concerns, public health groups have welcomed the enforcement, insisting that protecting children and young people should take precedence over commercial interests.
Enforcement Outlook
NAFDAC has indicated that enforcement activities will include inspections, seizures of non-compliant products and sanctions against manufacturers and retailers found violating the ban.
The agency reiterated its commitment to working with relevant stakeholders while ensuring strict compliance with the regulation, describing the move as a critical step toward reducing alcohol-related harm and safeguarding Nigeria’s future generation.
The nationwide clampdown marks one of the most decisive regulatory actions yet in Nigeria’s efforts to address underage drinking and promote public health safety.

Comments
Post a Comment