ADC CONDEMNS KWARA MASSACRE, ACCUSES FG OF FAILING ON NATIONAL SECURITY
ADC CONDEMNS KWARA MASSACRE, ACCUSES FG OF FAILING ON NATIONAL SECURITY
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has condemned the killing of scores of residents in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, accusing the Federal Government of failing to effectively address Nigeria’s worsening security challenges.
In a statement issued on Friday, the party said the attack underscored what it described as a breakdown of national security under the administration of President Bola Tinubu. The statement was signed by the ADC’s National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi.
The condemnation followed confirmation by Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq that at least 75 people were killed in the attack. Speaking earlier at the palace of the Emir of Kaiama, the governor said the victims were local residents who were attacked by armed extremists.
Reacting to the incident, the ADC said the scale of the killings raised serious questions about the effectiveness of recent security measures announced by the Federal Government, including the declaration of a security emergency and plans to recruit additional police personnel.
“The African Democratic Congress condemns in strong terms the gruesome killing of innocent Nigerians in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State,” the party said.
According to the ADC, the attack highlights persistent weaknesses in intelligence gathering, inter-agency coordination, border control and emergency response.
The party also expressed concern over reports suggesting that armed groups displaced by recent military operations in other parts of the country may be relocating to vulnerable communities due to what it described as poor internal security coordination.
“The tragic events in Kwara further demonstrate that violence is spreading into areas previously considered safe,” the statement added.
The ADC criticised what it described as a pattern of delayed responses to security crises, warning that repeated attacks across different regions show the need for a clearer and more effective national security strategy.
The party questioned the implementation of previously announced security initiatives, including the Federal Government’s proposed large-scale recruitment into the Nigeria Police Force.
“Nigerians deserve clarity on the status of the promised police recruitment. Communities should not remain exposed if these measures were genuinely implemented,” the statement said.
The opposition party urged the Federal Government to provide a transparent update on the country’s security situation and outline concrete steps to prevent the further spread of violent attacks across states.
It also called on authorities to prioritise the protection of lives and ensure accountability for security lapses.

Comments
Post a Comment