IRAN DECLARES EUROPEAN ARMIES TERRORIST GROUPS AFTER EU DESIGNATES IRGC

IRAN DECLARES EUROPEAN ARMIES TERRORIST GROUPS AFTER EU DESIGNATES IRGC


Iran has officially designated the armed forces of European countries as “terrorist groups” in retaliation for the European Union’s decision to classify the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organisation.

The declaration was announced on Sunday by Iran’s Parliament Speaker, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, during a legislative session in Tehran.

According to Ghalibaf, the decision was taken in line with Article 7 of Iran’s Law on Countermeasures Against the Declaration of the IRGC as a Terrorist Organisation, stressing that European militaries now fall under Iran’s terrorist designation.

“Under Article 7 of the law, the armies of European countries are considered terrorist groups,” Ghalibaf said, describing the EU’s action as “irresponsible”.

During the parliamentary session, lawmakers appeared in green uniforms associated with the Revolutionary Guards in a show of solidarity. State television footage showed chants of “Death to America,” “Death to Israel,” and “Shame on you, Europe” echoing through the chamber.

However, the immediate diplomatic or military implications of Iran’s counter-designation remain unclear.

The law cited by Iranian authorities was originally enacted in 2019, following the United States’ classification of the IRGC as a terrorist organisation during the administration of former US President Donald Trump.

Sunday’s parliamentary sitting coincided with the 47th anniversary of the return from exile of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic Republic, who led Iran’s 1979 revolution.

The IRGC is widely regarded as the ideological backbone of Iran’s military establishment, tasked with protecting the Islamic system against both internal and external threats.

Western governments have repeatedly accused the Guards of playing a central role in the violent crackdown on recent nationwide protests, which reportedly resulted in thousands of deaths. Iranian authorities, however, have blamed the unrest on “terrorist acts” allegedly backed by the United States and Israel.

The European Union agreed last week to list the IRGC as a terrorist organisation over its response to the protests, aligning with similar actions previously taken by the United States, Canada, and Australia.

Reacting to the move, Ghalibaf claimed the decision was carried out under pressure from Washington and Israel, warning that it would further marginalise Europe on the global stage.

“This action has only increased public support for the Revolutionary Guards within Iran,” he added.

The development comes amid heightened tensions between Iran and the United States, with both sides exchanging warnings over potential military confrontation.

The United States recently dispatched an aircraft carrier strike group to the region after President Trump threatened possible intervention following Iran’s handling of the protests.

Despite the rhetoric, officials from both countries have indicated a willingness to pursue dialogue. Iran’s Supreme National Security Council head, Ali Larijani, said over the weekend that arrangements for negotiations were progressing.

Trump later confirmed that talks were ongoing, though he maintained a hard-line stance, warning of consequences should diplomacy fail.

Iranian authorities have reiterated their readiness for nuclear negotiations, provided discussions do not extend to the country’s missile and defence programmes.

Meanwhile, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stated that war would serve neither Iran, the United States, nor the wider Middle East, during a phone conversation with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.

In a parallel diplomatic effort, Qatar’s Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, held talks in Tehran aimed at easing tensions, according to Qatar’s foreign ministry.

Amid the growing uncertainty, some Iranian citizens have expressed anxiety over the escalating situation.

A Tehran resident, Firouzeh, said the continuous flow of breaking news has left her deeply worried about the possibility of conflict.

“I keep watching the news until I fall asleep, and sometimes I wake up at night to check updates,” she said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST IN: ONDO GOVT ORDERS TEMPORARY CLOSURE OF SELECTED SCHOOLS AHEAD OF STATE ASSEMBLY ELECTION

JUST IN: APC ONDO APPOINTS OLAWALE IJANUSI AS SPECIAL ASSISTANT ON NEW MEDIA

JUST IN: MATO CRUSHES INCUMBENT ADEFIRANYE, CLINCHES APC REPS TICKET WITH LANDSLIDE VICTORY