JUST IN: BANDITS ABDUCT 14 TRAVELLERS, KILL TWO IN BENUE ATTACK
BANDITS ABDUCT 14 TRAVELLERS, KILL TWO IN BENUE ATTACK
Suspected bandits have abducted no fewer than 14 passengers and killed two others during a deadly attack on a commercial vehicle along the Okpokwu axis of Benue State.
The incident occurred on Monday evening when the victims were travelling from communities in the Igede axis of Oju and Obi Local Government Areas en route to the South-West region of Nigeria.
According to local sources, the passengers departed Iheijwo Market in Oju Local Government Area at about 7:00 p.m. and were travelling through the Utonkon–Ojapo–Okpoga road when armed assailants intercepted their vehicle.
During the attack, two passengers were reportedly shot and died instantly. The remaining passengers were forcefully taken into the surrounding bush by the attackers.
A source familiar with the incident told reporters that the driver attempted to continue the journey after spotting the gunmen, prompting the assailants to open fire on the vehicle before abducting the occupants.
Confirming the incident, the Chairman of Oju Local Government Area, Mr Jackson Ominyi, said he was informed by his security officer that residents of the area were among those abducted.
“I was told that some of our people were attacked around the Okpokwu axis. I learnt that two persons were killed while others were taken away,” Ominyi said.
He added that efforts were ongoing to establish contact with authorities in Okpokwu Local Government Area and that security agencies, including the Department of State Services (DSS), had been notified.
The latest attack comes less than 48 hours after nine worshippers were abducted during a night vigil at St John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon, within Ado Local Government Area of the state, further heightening concerns over the deteriorating security situation in Benue.
As of the time of filing this report, the Benue State Police Command had not issued an official confirmation. The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Udeme Edet, said the command was yet to verify the details of the incident.
The spate of abductions and killings has intensified fears among residents and travellers, with renewed calls for strengthened security presence along major highways and vulnerable rural communities in the state.

Comments
Post a Comment