NIGERIA IMMIGRATION ORDERS PROBE INTO OFFICER OVER ALLEGED SEXUAL ASSAULT
NIGERIA IMMIGRATION ORDERS PROBE INTO OFFICER OVER ALLEGED SEXUAL ASSAULT
The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has ordered a comprehensive investigation into allegations of misconduct involving one of its officers following an online report accusing the personnel of unlawful detention and sexual assault of a Nigerian woman.
The Service disclosed this in a statement posted on its official X (formerly Twitter) handle on Thursday, stating that it had been alerted to a publication alleging serious violations by one of its operatives.
According to the NIS, the allegations — which include claims of unlawful detention and sexual assault — are grave and run contrary to the values, ethics, and professional standards of the Service.
“The attention of the Nigeria Immigration Service has been drawn to an online publication alleging grave misconduct by one of its personnel, including claims of unlawful detention and sexual assault involving a Nigerian woman,” the statement read.
The agency stressed that any form of misconduct by its personnel would not be tolerated, adding that such actions undermine public trust and the integrity of the Service.
The NIS said it had directed a full-scale investigation into the matter and assured that any officer found culpable would face appropriate disciplinary and legal consequences.
“The Service has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the allegations, and any personnel found to have engaged in misconduct will be held accountable through applicable disciplinary and legal processes,” the statement added.
The Service further stated that it would not shield or condone any action that violates the rights or dignity of individuals, reiterating its commitment to professionalism and respect for human rights.
The development follows a report by the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ), which alleged that a 21-year-old woman from Akwa Ibom State was arrested by an immigration officer identified as Isa Makama and detained for several days without due process.
According to the report, the woman was allegedly held at a private location rather than an official detention facility and subjected to repeated assaults during her confinement. The publication further claimed that her eventual release came after intervention by concerned individuals who became aware of her situation.
The Nigeria Immigration Service, however, said it had not confirmed the details of the allegations and emphasised that the ongoing investigation was aimed at establishing the facts and ensuring accountability where necessary.

Comments
Post a Comment