SECURITY ALERT: US TROOPS ARRIVE IN NIGERIA

US TROOPS ARRIVE IN NIGERIA AS TERROR THREAT ESCALATES AFTER CHRISTMAS AIRSTRIKES


The United States has deployed a small contingent of troops to Nigeria, marking its first officially confirmed ground military presence in the country following airstrikes carried out on Christmas Day 2025.

The deployment comes weeks after US President Donald Trump ordered airstrikes on what he described as Islamic State-linked targets in Nigeria, signalling a renewed and more direct American involvement in counterterrorism operations in West Africa.

According to a report by Reuters, the troop deployment follows a security agreement between the Federal Government of Nigeria and Washington aimed at deepening cooperation against escalating terrorist threats across the region.

Speaking during a press briefing on Tuesday, the Head of the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), General Dagvin R.M. Anderson, confirmed the presence of American personnel in Nigeria, describing the move as part of enhanced collaboration between both countries.

“That has led to increased collaboration between our nations, including a small US team that brings some unique capabilities from the United States,” Anderson said.

While the US military did not disclose the size or specific operational mandate of the deployed team, officials said the personnel would provide support for Nigeria’s counterterrorism efforts.

Security sources cited by Reuters indicated that the American team is likely involved in intelligence gathering, surveillance coordination, and operational support, particularly in efforts targeting extremist groups such as Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

The report also revealed that the United States had been conducting surveillance flights over Nigeria from neighbouring Ghana since at least late November 2025, supplying intelligence ahead of the December airstrikes.

Nigeria’s Defence Minister, Christopher Musa, also confirmed the presence of the US team but declined to provide further operational details.

The development comes amid growing pressure from Washington over Nigeria’s handling of terrorist violence. President Trump had previously accused the Nigerian government of failing to protect Christians in parts of the northwest — allegations the Federal Government has firmly rejected.

Nigerian authorities have consistently maintained that military operations target all armed groups attacking civilians, regardless of religious or ethnic identity.

The latest deployment underscores heightened international concern over Nigeria’s security challenges and signals a new phase of military cooperation between Abuja and Washington as counterterrorism efforts intensify across West Africa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST IN: ONDO GOVT ORDERS TEMPORARY CLOSURE OF SELECTED SCHOOLS AHEAD OF STATE ASSEMBLY ELECTION

JUST IN: APC ONDO APPOINTS OLAWALE IJANUSI AS SPECIAL ASSISTANT ON NEW MEDIA

JUST IN: MATO CRUSHES INCUMBENT ADEFIRANYE, CLINCHES APC REPS TICKET WITH LANDSLIDE VICTORY