SHETTIMA VISITS KWARA AFTER DEADLY ATTACK, CONVEYS TINUBU’S CONDOLENCES
SHETTIMA VISITS KWARA AFTER DEADLY ATTACK, CONVEYS TINUBU’S CONDOLENCES
Vice President Kashim Shettima has visited Kwara State following a deadly attack on Woro village in Kaiama Local Government Area that claimed dozens of lives.
The vice president arrived in the state on Saturday on the directive of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to assess the situation firsthand and convey the Federal Government’s condolences to affected families and communities.
According to a statement issued by his media aide, Stanley Nkwocha, the visit was part of the President’s response to the attack, which occurred earlier in the week.
“The President has directed the Vice President to assess the situation on the ground and convey the Federal Government’s condolences to the grieving families,” the statement said.
Shettima was received on arrival by Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq alongside other senior government officials.
The attack, which occurred on Tuesday night, reportedly affected Woro and neighbouring communities in Kaiama Local Government Area. Preliminary reports indicated that dozens of residents were killed during the assault, with some accounts initially placing the figure higher.
Governor AbdulRazaq had earlier described the victims as members of the local Muslim community who were targeted after allegedly refusing to submit to extremist indoctrination. Authorities said the violence followed a failed attempt by the attackers to impose their beliefs on residents.
The Vice President also conveyed President Tinubu’s assurances that those responsible for the attack would be brought to justice.
“Vice President Shettima is conveying President Tinubu’s strong assurances that the Federal Government will not relent until the perpetrators are tracked, apprehended, and prosecuted,” Nkwocha said.
President Tinubu had earlier condemned the attack, describing it as brutal and unacceptable, while confirming that security operations were already underway in the affected areas.
The President also approved the deployment of an Army battalion under Operation Savannah Shield, with a mandate to restore order, protect vulnerable communities, and pursue those responsible for the killings.
Federal authorities have further pledged closer coordination with the Kwara State Government to provide relief to affected families and strengthen security across the region.

Comments
Post a Comment