SPORT NEWS: GUARDIOLA VOWS MAN CITY WILL FIGHT ON DESPITE TITLE SETBACK AT TOTTENHAM

GUARDIOLA VOWS MAN CITY WILL FIGHT ON DESPITE TITLE SETBACK AT TOTTENHAM


Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has insisted his side will not give up on the Premier League title race despite surrendering a two-goal lead in a damaging 2–2 draw against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

City looked on course for a crucial away victory in north London after first-half goals from Rayan Cherki and Antoine Semenyo put the visitors firmly in control.

However, the champions faltered after the break as Tottenham mounted a strong comeback. Dominic Solanke pulled one back in controversial circumstances, with VAR allowing the goal to stand despite City protests over contact on defender Marc Guehi.

Tottenham sustained the pressure and were rewarded with a spectacular equaliser, as Solanke produced an audacious scorpion kick from a Conor Gallagher cross, stunning City and the home crowd alike.

The draw leaves second-placed Manchester City six points behind league leaders Arsenal, who strengthened their title push with a convincing 4–0 victory over Leeds United on Saturday. City have now managed just one win in their last six league matches.

Guardiola expressed frustration over the officiating decision that led to Tottenham’s first goal but praised his team’s overall spirit.

“If a central defender does that to a striker, it’s a penalty,” Guardiola said. “After the first goal, the momentum changed and it became difficult to control the game.”

The City boss was booked for protesting the decision and appeared visibly frustrated as replays were shown inside the stadium.

Despite the setback, Guardiola remained confident that the title race is far from over.

“With 14 games still to play, the chance is there and the hope will always be there,” he said. “We’ve had many injuries over the last month, but players are coming back, and I saw a very good spirit.”

For Tottenham, the draw provided a morale boost amid an injury crisis and growing pressure on manager Thomas Frank. The Spurs boss praised his depleted squad, who battled back despite having several key players unavailable.

“I’m extremely happy we finally got something from a big second half,” Frank said. “The resilience and character of this team, even with players dropping to injury, shows what we are building.”

The result keeps both sides firmly in the race for their respective objectives, with City still chasing Arsenal at the top and Tottenham pushing for a strong finish to the season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST IN: ONDO GOVT ORDERS TEMPORARY CLOSURE OF SELECTED SCHOOLS AHEAD OF STATE ASSEMBLY ELECTION

JUST IN: APC ONDO APPOINTS OLAWALE IJANUSI AS SPECIAL ASSISTANT ON NEW MEDIA

JUST IN: MATO CRUSHES INCUMBENT ADEFIRANYE, CLINCHES APC REPS TICKET WITH LANDSLIDE VICTORY