APC RISKS MAJOR DEFEAT IN ONDO OVER PRIMARY CRISIS, ADU CUBANA WARNS AIYEDATIWA

APC RISKS MAJOR DEFEAT IN ONDO OVER PRIMARY CRISIS, ADU CUBANA WARNS AIYEDATIWA


An aspirant in the Ondo Central Senatorial primary election of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Barrister Olumuyiwa Adu, popularly known as “Adu Cubana,” has warned that the ruling party could face serious electoral setbacks in Ondo State ahead of the 2027 general elections if internal grievances and allegations surrounding the primaries are not addressed.

Adu made the remarks while reacting to reports of violence and disruptions that reportedly occurred during the APC senatorial primary election in parts of Ondo State on Monday.

Speaking with journalists, the APC chieftain alleged that the primary election process was marred by intimidation, armed political thugs, and what he described as attempts to impose preferred candidates.

According to him, some individuals allegedly wielded weapons openly at voting centres and threatened party members during the exercise.

“The point is that there have been several primary elections going on in Ondo State, and we have witnessed disturbing incidents involving armed young men intimidating party members and directing people on who to vote for,” he said.

Adu argued that the incidents observed during the primaries undermined the credibility of the electoral process within the party.

“From what we witnessed, it became difficult to describe the exercise as a genuine democratic primary,” he stated.

The senatorial aspirant further alleged that some of the individuals involved claimed they were acting on instructions linked to Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa, although no official response had been issued by the governor as of the time of filing this report.

He also claimed that supporters of some aspirants were allegedly denied access to voting areas, while only supporters of certain preferred candidates were allowed to participate freely.

According to Adu, the situation created widespread tension among party members and stakeholders across the state.

Despite the allegations, the APC aspirant said he and his supporters chose not to retaliate in order to avoid violence and maintain peace.

“I have always believed that peace and stability are more important than political ambition. We deliberately restrained our supporters because no political position is worth the loss of lives,” he said.

Adu, who noted that he previously served in the military, stated that he had no intention of escalating tensions despite what he described as provocations during the process.

He also expressed concerns over the level of division within the APC in Ondo State, warning that unresolved internal disputes could weaken the party’s chances during the general elections.

“There is growing frustration among party members and many people are unhappy with the current situation in the state,” he added.

The APC chieftain maintained that his political ambition was driven by a desire to contribute to public service rather than personal survival through politics.

He further warned that candidates allegedly imposed against the wishes of party members could struggle to secure broad support during the elections.

As of the time of this report, the Ondo State chapter of the APC had not officially responded to the allegations raised by the senatorial aspirant.

The latest development adds to growing tensions surrounding the APC primaries in Ondo State as political activities ahead of the 2027 elections continue to intensify.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST IN: ONDO GOVT ORDERS TEMPORARY CLOSURE OF SELECTED SCHOOLS AHEAD OF STATE ASSEMBLY ELECTION

JUST IN: APC ONDO APPOINTS OLAWALE IJANUSI AS SPECIAL ASSISTANT ON NEW MEDIA

JUST IN: MATO CRUSHES INCUMBENT ADEFIRANYE, CLINCHES APC REPS TICKET WITH LANDSLIDE VICTORY