GUNSHOTS, CHAOS ROCK ONDO APC SENATORIAL PRIMARY AS ADEGBOMIRE ESCAPES ATTACK

GUNSHOTS, CHAOS ROCK ONDO APC SENATORIAL PRIMARY AS ADEGBOMIRE ESCAPES ATTACK


Tension erupted across parts of the Ondo Central Senatorial District on Monday after suspected political thugs reportedly disrupted the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election, forcing residents, journalists, traders, and school pupils to flee for safety.

The incident occurred in Ward 5, Okelisa area along Amudipe Street in Akure, the Ondo State capital, during the party’s primary election exercise.

Eyewitness accounts indicated that armed thugs stormed the venue and allegedly targeted supporters of Senator Adeniyi Adegbomire, who currently represents Ondo Central Senatorial District in the National Assembly.

Gunshots were reportedly fired into the air during the disruption, while Senator Adegbomire’s vehicle was also said to have been hit by bullets. The senator was immediately escorted away from the scene by his security aides.

The violence reportedly caused panic around the area, with journalists covering the election, traders, and pupils of a nearby primary school seen running for safety as the situation escalated.

Witnesses also alleged that some of the attackers wielded machetes and disrupted the counting process during the exercise.

Reacting to the incident, Senator Adegbomire described the primary election as a “charade,” alleging that the process was manipulated to intimidate his supporters and prevent them from voting freely.

According to him, the disruption began after voting and counting processes suggested he was leading at the ward level.

“It’s a complete charade,” the senator said while addressing journalists.

“I went to my ward, Ward 5 in Akure South Local Government, for the APC senatorial primaries. During the counting process, when it became clear that my supporters were dominant, thugs invaded the venue, fired shots, and attacked people. One of the bullets hit my vehicle.”

Adegbomire further alleged that similar incidents were reported in other parts of the senatorial district, including Akure North and other wards in Akure South.

He claimed some voters were allegedly warned against supporting him and were threatened with violence if they refused to back another aspirant.

The senator also stated that reports reaching him indicated that his supporters were being prevented from participating in the exercise in several locations.

He appealed to the national leadership of the APC to intervene and ensure fairness in the conduct of the primary election.

According to him, he had already communicated his concerns to Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa, although he noted that the governor had yet to respond at the time of filing the report.

Despite the violence, Adegbomire said he instructed his supporters to remain peaceful and avoid retaliation.

“I have told my supporters not to fight anybody but to document everything happening across the senatorial district,” he added.

As of the time of this report, the Ondo State APC leadership had not issued an official statement regarding the incident, while security agencies were yet to confirm arrests linked to the disruption.

The development has further heightened political tension within the ruling party ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST IN: ONDO GOVT ORDERS TEMPORARY CLOSURE OF SELECTED SCHOOLS AHEAD OF STATE ASSEMBLY ELECTION

JUST IN: APC ONDO APPOINTS OLAWALE IJANUSI AS SPECIAL ASSISTANT ON NEW MEDIA

JUST IN: MATO CRUSHES INCUMBENT ADEFIRANYE, CLINCHES APC REPS TICKET WITH LANDSLIDE VICTORY